Tools and Resources
Maximus performs Pre-Admission Screening and Resident Review (PASRR) Level I screens and Level II evaluations on individuals who are applying to or residing in Medicaid-certified nursing homes. This federally mandated assessment process is used to determine whether the nursing home is the appropriate placement for individuals with mental illness, intellectual disabilities or developmental disabilities. PASRR functions as an essential method to help match individuals with the care and services they need. We also performs nursing facility Level of Care Determinations for all Level II evaluations.
Are you a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW or LMCSW) or Registered Nurse with behavioral health experience interested in working as an assessor with the ND PASRR program? Contact our Recruiting team to learn more: Recruiting@maximus.com
8:00 am - 5:00 pm CST, M-F
- Quarterly Newsletter: PASRR System, AssessmentPro, Coming Later in 2021 | New FAQs | Resource Reminders
For the North Dakota PASRR Newsletter for Winter 2021, we cover several important topics that are critical for providers - including an exciting announcement about changes coming to the PASRR process in the months ahead. Be sure to review these updates and reminders shown below, which include:
- Sneak Peek: New PASRR system, AssessmentPro, coming soon
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions to the Help Desk
- Support: ND PASRR Training Resources
- Questions? Contact the Help Desk
SNEAK PEEK: New PASRR System, AssessmentPro, Coming Later in 2021!
North Dakota's Department of Human Services (DHS) will be partnering with Maximus to move to the Maximus-developed online platform, AssessmentPro, for its PASRR assessments management later this year. As we move toward the launch of this industry leading system, we will keep the ND provider community and other PASRR stakeholders connected throughout the transition process, with migration updates and helpful resources. Stay tuned in the coming weeks for more information on next steps, including:
- Process Guides: Understand what's changing, with a helpful overview of AssessmentPro processes and procedures
- System Benefits: Walkthrough of the positive impact this new tool can have for the provider community and most importantly, those we serve together across North Dakota
- Account Registration: Step-by-step instructions to create your new account for the new system
- Learning Opportunities: Dates and registration details for training webinars
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions to the Help Desk
Q: I forgot to add (or later discovered) a person's mental health diagnosis for a level I that has already been approved. Can you add the diagnosis for me?
A: If the level I PASRR screen has already been approved/reviewed, the Maximus clinician cannot edit the diagnoses. You will need to submit a new level I to reflect any additional diagnoses that are either newly diagnosed or newly reported.
Q: When do I need to submit a status change level I for a nursing facility resident?
A: A true status change (for PASRR) would be a new PASRR level II diagnosis (such as new major mental illness/ID, etc.) *or* new psych symptoms (this could be just psych symptoms or could be psych symptoms requiring a new psych admission). If these situations occur, a new level I should be submitted.
Q: Do I need to do a new level I and/or LOC when a person is transferring from one NF to another NF?
A: Nursing Facility (NF) to NF transfer would only require a new PASRR level I screen if there is a status change in mental health noted. NF to NF transfer would only require a new LOC if the prior LOC approval was done more than 90 days ago.
Q: When a person applies to Medicaid what screen do I submit to Maximus?
A: For NF residents who are Medicaid pending, a new LOC is needed. The LOC should be submitted every 90 days while Medicaid remains *pending.* You do NOT need to do a new level I PASRR screen for Medicaid pending status.
Q: I am trying to submit a screening, and at the current location the box is pink and will not let me proceed without putting something in there, what do I do?
A: There is a drop-down menu that allows you to select a blank box to continue. If not selected, it will not allow you to proceed in submitting the screening.
Q: How do I request a copy of a screen completed?
A: If a tracking request is submitted, there will be an option to select if you would like to receive the screen information via fax.
SUPPORT: ND PASRR Training Resources
Whenever you have a referral or assessment process question, be sure to reference the ND PASRR Tools and Resources site, which contains numerous training videos, guides and manuals.
In the months ahead, stay tuned for a number of new training webinars and support materials coming your way, ahead of the planned AssessmentPro transition.
QUESTIONS? North Dakota PASRR Help Desk Contacts
- Supervisor Registration: North Dakota PASRR - New Supervisor Users Must Register Here
- Supervisor Login: North Dakota PASRR - Registered Supervisors Login Here
- North Dakota PASRR Level of Care Form Instructions - Updated 12.29.20
- North Dakota PASRR - Level I Screening Instructions
- North Dakota PASRR - MFP Information
- HCBS Information
- Protocol for Flood Evacuees
- Update on MDS 3.0 and PASRR
Guides & Forms
- North Dakota PASRR Provider Manual - Updated 12.29.20
- North Dakota PASRR WebSTARS Getting Started for Supervisors
- North Dakota PASRR WebSTARS Getting Started for Agency Staff
- North Dakota PASRR NF Request for State Retro LOC Review
- North Dakota PASRR Retrospective Review Process
- North Dakota PASRR Webstars User Guide