Tools and Resources
Maximus has been contracted to partner with the State of Maine’s Department of Health and Human Services, through the Office of Aging and Disability (OADS), as manager of its Statewide Assessing Services. This single Assessing Services Agency (ASA) Program will encompass a series of programs, including:
Long Term Care (LTC), ABI, ORC, ICF/IDD, GPU
Your feedback helps us improve! Tell us about your assessment experience.
- Maine ASA - Referral Process Update Regarding Supporting Documentation
The Maine ASA program requires certain documents from the submitting facility to proceed with an assessment. These items include:
- Face sheet
- Guardianship documentation
- History and physical or discharge summary
- Current MD orders
- MD progress note for previous 72 hours
- Nurse’s note for previous 72 hours
- Active medication summary- include date/time prn’s received in the for the last 7 days (e.g. sliding scale insulin)
- Initial therapy evaluation (PT, OT, ST)
- (if currently receiving therapy) Progress notes for last 3 visits, treatment administration records for the last 7 days (include oxygen, wound care, tube feedings, IV’s)
- CNA documentation of ADLs (activities of daily living) needs for previous 7 days
Effective beginning from September 13, 2021 through December 31, 2021, a new temporary process change is in place for the Maine ASA program.
When preparing for an assessment, the assigned RN Assessor will make three (3) telephone call attempts to facilities for needed documents.
- First call attempt: Performed 24 hours of the referral or the last business day prior to assessment due date
- Second call attempt: Performed on the assessment due date
- Third call attempt: Performed the next business day following the assessment due date.
If documents are not received by 5:00 p.m. ET on the next business day following the third call, the assessment will be cancelled in MeCare. The facility will be required to submit a new referral if determined the assessment is still necessary. Please note:
- If the original referral was not a late referral - The new referral will not be listed as “late and eligibility will be back-dated.
- If the original referral was a late referral - The new referral will be listed as “late” and eligibility will be the date of the assessment.
- Maine ASA - Quarterly Provider Newsletter: Review AssessmentPro Uploading Tips | Supporting Documentation List Reminders
In this latest edition of the Maine ASA Quarterly Newsletter we cover a few important topics that providers across the state may find useful. These include some AssessmentPro tips on uploading files to the system, as well as some important best practice reminders on the submission of all necessary supporting documentation and a tip about the PASRR referral form.
ASSESSMENTPRO TIP: Uploading Files Directly to the System
AssessmentPro simplifies the submission process, making uploading both easier and faster than faxing. A few advantages of direct system submission of supporting documentation include:
- Immediate receipt confirmation
The moment you upload, you can see the documents on the individual's assessment record. This allows you to confirm receipt of those materials by Maximus in real time.
- Speed up the process
Documents get to Maximus more quickly, reducing delays for you and the individuals you're serving.
- Avoid potential fax issues
Direct system upload allows AssessmentPro users to avoid any potential issues with fax receipt or document clarity. If a fax line goes down, users who upload do not experience any delays. Uploaded documents do not have distorted text, which can potentially occur with a fax.
BEST PRACTICE: Submitting Referral Documentation
Providing all appropriate documentation at the time of each referral can help to ensure a speedy assessment process and also reduce the number of potential call-backs your staff may receive from the assessor requesting additional information.
For a facility assessment, the following documentation will be needed:
- Face Sheet
- Guardianship/POA documentation
- History & Physical and/or Discharge Summary
- Current MD orders
- MD progress notes for last 72hours (as available)
- Nurses Notes for the last 72hrs (as available)
- Active Medication Summary-include date/time prn's received in the for the last 7 days (for example sliding scale insulin)
- Initial Therapy evaluation (PT, OT, ST)
- If currently receiving therapy Progress notes for last 3 visits
- Treatment Administration records for the last 7 days (include oxygen, wound care, tube feedings, IV's)
Nursing Facilities, please include this additional documentation:
- Activities of daily living (ADL) flow sheets for the last 7 days
Interview Reminder: The assessor will also ask to speak with a staff member who is familiar with the individual's care needs, in addition to speaking with the individual being assessed.
REMINDER: Maine ASA Site - Fax Form for PASRR Referral Only
In recent months, some MED referrals have been mistakenly submitted using the Fax referral form linked on the Maine ASA site, found under the Resources header. This specific form is intended for PASRR referral submissions only.
SUPPORT: Your Maine ASA Resources
Referral & General Questions: 833.525.5784
Fax a Referral: 844.356.7500
Fax PASRR Materials: 877.431.9568
Email Referrals: Maine-ASA@maximus.com
- Immediate receipt confirmation
Guides & Forms
- Maine ASA Fillable MED Referral Form
- Maine ASA Medical Eligibility Request Form
- Maine ASA Physician Office Referral Form
- Maine ASA Medical Referral Instructions
- Maine ASA Glossary of Terms - Updated 6.22.21
- Maine ASA - FAQs
- Maine ASA - LTC FAQs - Added 8.18.21
- Maine ASA - Escalation Tree - UPDATED 1.20.22
Education & Training
- Maine Assessing Services Introduction - Avesta Housing (Recording) - *Contact Help Desk for Access
- ME ASA - Stakeholder Call 03.01.21 (Recording) - *Contact Help Desk for Access
- ME ASA - 05.21.20 Webinar - Completing the Medical Eligibility Form (Slides)
- ME ASA - 05.21.20 Webinar - Completing the Medical Eligibility Form (Recording) - *Contact Help Desk for Access
- ME ASA - Stakeholder Call 05.15.20 – PASRR COVID-19 Presentation (Slides)
- ME ASA - Stakeholder Call 05.15.20 – PASRR COVID-19 Presentation (Recording) - *Contact Help Desk for Access
- ME ASA - Stakeholder Call 10.01.19 - Operations Update & PASRR Overview (Slides)
- ME ASA - Stakeholder Call 10.01.19 - Operations Update & PASRR Overview (Video)